Friday, June 11, 2010

What's growing in our garden

After years of growing flowers we grew tired of constantly fussing over them, so last year, my husband decided to start an organic vegetable garden. We don't have much space, but he did his research and heard about "Square Foot Gardening". It made a lot of sense, so he decided to give it a try.

Many things did not do well. We planted them at the wrong times, overwatered them, didn't really know how to care for them (so much for not fussing over the garden!). In this, our second year, we've learned a few things. Honestly, I only do two things with this garden: help decide what to plant, and water it when my husband gets busy with work. My motto has been: "You grow 'em, I'll cook 'em." I do NOT have a green thumb. He, on the other hand, took horticulture in high school, so that makes him the expert between the two of us.

Currently we have onions, which are all that remain of the winter "crop" and the typical summer "crop" veggies: zucchini, tomatoes, and eggplant. Radishes have also been planted. Radishes are the all-time easiest things to grow apparently any time of year. Even if you are only moderately fond of radishes (like me), there is nothing like a fresh one. Talk about flavor! A great addition to any salad or crudite platter.

More tomatoes flank the other side of the lawn, as well as butternut squash and another attempt at green beans (which we haven't gotten the hang of yet. They are always being devoured by something evil like snails or worms of some kind). Four kinds of tomatoes grow: Roma, Yellow Pear, Early Girl, and Red Cherry.

No garden of mine would be complete without herbs. Even when I lived in apartments and had no garden, I grew them in pots and had them near my kitchen window or growing on a balcony. At the moment, we have marjoram, thyme, lemon thyme, parsley, and oregano. Dormant at the moment are tarragon and sage. The only thing I miss is cilantro, which I have found somewhat finicky, but I'll give it another try. And you're probably wondering, "what about basil?", and that would be a good question. I always grow basil indoors, on the kitchen sill, because snails just LOVE it.

So that's what's happening in our garden at the moment. I'll update as things sprout.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly