Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What's in Season?

If you've been following along here, you know I previously posted about farmer's markets and eating locally. I am really trying to do this but I'm finding that it isn't as easy as it sounds.

I've been a diligent label reader on bottles and cans for many years, but recently I realized I never paid much attention to that when it came to produce. Now I'm making a more conscious effort to buy produce grown in my state.

Naturally if I'm going to farmer's markets on a regular basis, I am eating locally and in season but I also searched the internet and found a resource that lists it for us. Here's what they say is "in season" in early July in SoCal:

Apples, Apricots, Asian Pears, Asparagus, Avocados, Beets, Blackberries, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cherries, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Fennel, Grapefruit, Grapes, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Nectarines, Okra, Onions, Oranges, Peaches, Pears, Peas, Pistachios, Potatoes, Radishes, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Scallions, Spinach, Squash, Strawberries, Tomatoes, Turnips.
 
My mission, should I choose to accept it: to utilize as many of these items as possible in my cooking in the next few weeks because the list is updated on this website every 2 weeks - then there will be new things to eat. I'd better get busy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly