Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Curried Tofu Dip

Under "Favorite Cooking Reads" I just added a few more of the cookbooks that I use on a fairly regular basis. As I added one of them, I realized I wanted to share a recipe from it. The book is called "Delicious Dips" and it has some great ones that span from veggie and herb dips, to salsas and guacamoles, to cheese, bean and legume dips, to meat and even dessert dips. A little of everything.

I love to snack, and to do this more healthfully, I wanted to make dips for the veggies I was trying to eat more of. I've prepared a lot of the recipes in this book, but one of my favorites in this one: a curried tofu dip. It is alive with flavor and totally addictive! It's a great way to get some healthy soy in your diet but you'd never know it was there.

Curried Tofu Pate

1 lb. firm tofu
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
3 green onions, including tops, finely sliced
1 celery stalk, finely sliced
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/8 tsp. cayenne powder
1/2 cup mayonnaise (soy-based, or regular, whichever is your preference)
1/3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Drain tofu and blot completely dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel. Let the tofu sit in the towel while you saute the vegetables.

In a small saute pan, warm the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the green onions and celery and saute until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add the curry, turmeric, and cayenne. Saute, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a food processor, puree the tofu, add the curry mixture and the mayo. Add the remaining ingredients, pulsing until just blended.

Great with crudites (cut veggies), pita chips, or bagel chips.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly