Thursday, July 13, 2017

Mexican Pickled Carrots


You’ve probably seen Mexican Pickled Carrots at the salsa bar of your favorite Mexican restaurant.  I always get happy when I see them because not all Mexican restaurants make them. I always envisioned some little old Mexican grandma standing in the kitchen for hours making their homemade recipe of these carrots.

I love them, but since I don’t see them often enough and am eating out less anyway, I decided to look into making them myself at home. Turns out, they are super easy and fortunately last a pretty long time in the fridge so I can take ‘em out and enjoy them whenever I’m in the mood.

They are perfect to take with you on picnics and to the beach, or eaten in the backyard with some tacos or carne asada you just grilled. You can eat them as a low-calorie snack between meals or alongside your chips and salsa as an appetizer before a meal.

The jalapeños might turn some people off. But here’s the thing: I am not a fan of anything really spicy. I don’t like destroying my tastebuds’ ability to identify the other flavors I’m eating. So trust me when I tell you that it’s completely safe to eat the sliced jalapeños after they’ve had some time to pickle. They mellow out considerably and end up tasting just a tad spicier than a bell pepper. Do try them.

Mexican Pickled Carrots

Ingredients:
2 lbs large carrots
2 large jalapeños
1/2 medium white onion
5 cloves garlic,  sliced
1-1/2 cups white vinegar
1-1/2 cups water
6 bay leaves, whole
10 peppercorns
2 tsp dried Mexican oregano (regular oregano will work too)
1 tsp kosher salt

Peel and slice carrots and onion into 1/4 inch thick pieces, slicing the carrots on the diagonal. Cut the stems off the jalapeños and slice thin on the diagonal. Set aside.

In a large stock pot add the garlic, vinegar, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, oregano. salt. Bring to a boil and add the carrots, onion and jalapeños. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, uncovered.

Allow to cool completely and store vegetables and cooking liquid in clean, sterile, glass containers with lids. Keep refrigerated.

Ready to eat after 3 hours but best pickled for at least a day or two.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly