Monday, November 30, 2015

Balls of Carob

I used to really love sweets. But as I read more and more how toxic sugar is to us, my body just started wanting less and less of it.

That said, every once in a while, I do want just a little bite of something, just a bite! For a long time now, when the craving hits, I'd get my sweets and fair trade organic dark chocolate from the health food store.

But I am usually disappointed with much of what’s on the market, even at the health food store. Everything still has so much sugar (in one form or another) in it!


As usual, I wondered if I couldn’t concoct something healthier for myself at home.

I wanted something made with whole foods, nothing processed. I wanted healthy sweet things, like fruits, in there. I remembered that I hadn’t eaten carob in a long time. I headed to the health food store and started shopping. I got myself carob, dried plums and apricots, unsweetened shredded coconut, and some raw sunflower seeds.

I thought to add some other things I already had in the pantry, like raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts and honey and decided to mash it all together and roll it into a ball. A healthy “truffle” of sorts.

Now, I don’t list exact quantities because it’s really not that important. Just throw in what you think will work. It’s not an exact science.


Here’s what I did. 

Carob Balls

Ingredients:

6-7 dried Plums (prunes): 3 soaked overnight in water and 3-4 regular dried (see note below)*
6-7 dried Apricots - same as above
A Tbsp or 2 Carob Powder
About a Tbsp or two of Honey or Maple Syrup
A good handful of Nuts (whatever you’ve got) - walnuts, pecans, almonds
A Tbsp. of raw Sunflower Seeds
A Tbsp or 2 dried Cranberries or a combination of those and Raisins
A Tbsp or 2 unsweetened dried shredded Coconut (optional)

Directions:

Get out your food processor and fit it with the chopping blade.
Add the prunes and apricots and pulse until you’ve mashed them down.
Add the carob powder and pulse.
Add the sweetener (honey or maple syrup)
Then add the nuts and seeds and pulse again, but not too finely. You still want a little chunk.

If the mass seems wet, add a little coconut. Pulse until just blended.


Take the blade out of food processor bowl and add the dried cranberries. Give it a good stir. Form into balls like in the photo and roll in a little coconut.


Place balls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator until solid.


*NOTE: I’ve made this twice. The first time I used regular dried prunes and apricots but found the balls a little dry. The second time, I soaked the prunes and apricots in water overnight but then found the balls didn’t stick together well. Next time I do this, I’m going to do 50/50. I suggest you start with this and then experiment to your liking.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly