Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The best ever Asian Chicken Salad


WOW! I just had the best Asian Chicken Salad EVER! I mean it. It was fantastic. I don't think I've ever enjoyed one as well at a restaurant.

At work, I've become known for my healthy lunches. People are always looking at what I brought. I schlep along all sorts of things from home and whip them up into a big salad nearly every day.

I really prefer salads for lunch. They don’t weigh me down making me want to take a nap at my desk in the afternoon. Plus, they give me a chance to substantially increase the amount of veggies I promised myself I’d eat. Without the salad, it would be a lot harder to eat this many veggies in a day.

Today was actually the 3rd in a row that I had this salad. It’s that good. What’s even better is how easy it was to prepare. If you shop at Trader Joe’s it’s even easier, because nearly everything was purchased there and much of it is ready-to-go: either already-cooked, or already shredded. Easy, delicious and healthy. Can’t beat that.

So what’s in it? Here you go.

Asian Chicken Salad

A bag of mesclun or mixed baby greens
A handful of cherry or grape tomatoes, preferably from someone’s garden, either red or yellow
1-2 stalks celery, finely chopped
½ bell pepper, preferably red, yellow or orange, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
Shredded green cabbage
Shredded red cabbage
¼ cup or more chunk pineapple
Cilantro, finely chopped, a few stems are ok
Pre-cooked sliced teriyaki chicken, cut into bite-sized chunks
Salt and pepper to taste

Dressing:
Trader Joe’s Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette (has no oil)
Trader Joe’s organic virgin coconut oil

Chop what needs chopping. Toss in a handful of each of the rest. Pour on just enough of the ginger vinaigrette. Finish with a drizzle or two of coconut oil. Add the seasoning, toss and eat.

If you make a big bowl of it, which inevitably happens when you keep adding all this stuff, you’ve got enough for one humungous salad for yourself, or enough for 2 to share.

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly